Cover image: LIBKOS / AP
- On a visit to Washington, his first trip abroad since the start of the war, the Ukrainian president was received as a hero by Joe Biden and elected representatives of Congress. The US president promised Volodymyr Zelensky that the Ukrainians would not be “never alone” against Russia and that the US would help Kiev “as long as it takes”.
- American aid is not “not charity”, but one “investment”Mr. Zelensky said before the US Congress. The elected representatives of both chambers received him with a prolonged ovation and rose several times to applaud him during his speech.
- The US announced on Wednesday that it would supply Kiev Patriot air defense system. This will reinforce “in a significant way” Ukrainian defense against Russian attacks, Volodymyr Zelensky said Wednesday during a joint press conference with Joe Biden at the White House. “This is a very important step to create a safe airspace for Ukraine”he said.
- Vladimir Putin, meanwhile, pledged on Wednesday to increase his army’s capabilities and its nuclear potential. During a meeting with senior officers, the Russian president announced that he had entered service “beginning of January” new Russian Zircon hypersonic cruise missiles and considered increasing the strength of the Russian army to 1.5 million soldiers.
- Moscow intends to establish support bases for its fleet in Mariupol and Berdyansk, two occupied cities in southern Ukraine, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said.
- On the ground, the Ukrainian military reported Russian attacks, particularly shelling, in the east and northeast. “The enemy continues to concentrate its efforts on conducting offensive actions in the direction of Bakhmut and Avdiivka »in the east, emphasized in the evening the staff of the Ukrainian forces.
- At least five people have been killed and seventeen injured in the last twenty-four hours, according to the Ukrainian presidency.
Find our live yesterday by clicking this link.
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
Story. In the White House and Congress, Volodymyr Zelensky reminds Americans that opposition to Russia is a common cause
Decryptions. The Patriots, a symbol of “American power projection”
Meet. Emmanuel Macron on the war in Ukraine: “I don’t want it to be the Chinese and the Turks alone who negotiate the next day”
Factual. A French group seizes the ICC over the deportation to Russia of Ukrainian children
Photo documentary. The photographer Adrienne Surprenant has investigated Kiev in search of the moments of life that the population agrees to on the fringes of the fighting.
Testimony. “When you hear a single ‘boukh’, it’s bad, the missile has exploded. When there are several “boukh”, it’s good, it’s anti-aircraft »
Report. The factory that makes the Caesar Cannon, a closely guarded military secret
Decryptions. In Ukraine, the delicate political reinvention of “pro-Russian” deputies, ten months after the start of the war
Tribune. “Emmanuel Macron was right to remember that agitating the nuclear threat erodes its deterrent effect”
Factual. “The world’s” answers to your most frequently asked questions