Cover image: Jacquelyn Martin/AP
- The Ukrainian president is expected in Washington today. According to CNN, citing two sources, Volodymyr Zelensky is on his way to the United States, a visit kept secret until the last minute. He is scheduled to meet with congressional leaders on Wednesday, as well as elected officials who serve on a parliamentary committee on national security. The Ukrainian leader is also expected to speak during a plenary session of Congress. The two heads of state were finally to meet in the White House.
- Mr. Yesterday, Zelensky went to Bakhmout, a city in the east ravaged by intense fighting. During his trip to the front, the Ukrainian president received a flag signed by fighters and declared: “We will give it to the US Congress, to the US President. We are grateful for their support, but it is not enough. » Troops from Moscow have been trying to capture the city, ravaged by fighting, since the summer.
- Most of the fighting is currently concentrated in the eastern part of the country. After a series of Russian military setbacks in northeastern and southern Ukraine, Vladimir Putin admitted on Tuesday that the situation was “extremely difficult” in the four regions of southern and eastern Ukraine whose annexation Moscow claims without having fully conquered them.
- The Russian president appeared on television on Tuesday. He presented decorations in the Kremlin to pro-Russian separatist soldiers and leaders from eastern Ukraine. “Our country has repeatedly faced challenges and defended its sovereignty. Today, Russia again faces the same challenge”he declared.
- Sir. Today, Putin wants to draw the conclusions from the past year and set the goals for his army for 2023. During a major meeting scheduled for Wednesday involving fifteen thousand officials, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu will report in particular on “status of the special military operation” in Ukraine.
- Emmanuel Macron maintains his position on “guarantees” to Russia. On Tuesday, the French president confirmed his position on “guarantees” of security which should be given to Russia if peace talks take place at the end of the war in Ukraine.
- New deliveries of French weapons to Ukraine. France has recently supplied rocket launchers and Crotale missile batteries to Ukraine and will continue its arms deliveries in early 2023, Mr Macron also announced in an interview with TF1 and LCI broadcast on Tuesday.
- This was announced by the World BankTuesday, grant an additional $610 million to Ukraine, to allow the country to “to meet the most pressing needs” health issues. Last week, the institution had allocated 2 billion dollars to support the Ukrainian private sector and to finance the preparation of the reconstruction.
Watch our live from yesterday
Read all our articles, analyzes and reports on the war in Ukraine
Photo documentary. The photographer Adrienne Surprenant has investigated Kiev in search of the moments of life that the population agrees to on the fringes of the fighting.
Testimony. “When you hear a single ‘boukh’, it’s bad, the missile has exploded. When there are several “boukh”, it’s good, it’s anti-aircraft »
Decryption. In Ukraine, the delicate political reinvention of “pro-Russian” deputies, ten months after the start of the war
Tribune. “Emmanuel Macron was right to remember that agitating the nuclear threat erodes its deterrent effect”
Meet. Serhiy Jadan in the face of Russian “hate”.
Report. In Kherson, “why did the Russians leave us?”
Maintenance. Denys Chmyhal, Ukrainian Prime Minister: “Russia wants to create a tsunami of refugees to destabilize European countries”
Report. Georgia’s Ambiguous Neutrality
Examination. The Orthodox Church hunted by the security services
Critical. “My next guest needs no introduction”: Volodymyr Zelensky receives David Letterman in Kiev for Netflix
Tribune. “Peace in Europe will only be guaranteed after the ‘de-Putinization’ of Russia”
Factual. European Parliament recognizes Holodomor, the Ukrainian famine of the 1930s, as genocide
Decryption. The war in Ukraine, an indirect driver of an ambitious South Korean arms industry
Factual. “The world’s” answers to your most frequently asked questions