Twitter users overwhelmingly vote for Elon Musk to step down as CEO


UThe majority of participants in a poll launched by Elon Musk on Twitter voted on Monday for the entrepreneur to give up the direction of the social network.

57.5% of the more than 17 million voters said they favored the departure of Mr. Musk, who promised to respect the result but did not immediately respond.

“Should I leave the leadership of Twitter?” asked the billionaire overnight from Sunday to Monday on the social network.

“I will stick to the results of this poll,” he promised.

In an exchange with one of his Twitter followers, Mr. Musk that he had no designated successor. He said in another post that the platform was “on the fast track to bankruptcy.”

Since the takeover at the end of October, the head of Tesla and SpaceX has caused a lot of controversy by firing half of Twitter’s workforce, re-instating suspended accounts, suspending journalists and trying to launch a new paid subscription.

“From the bogus subscription plan to banning journalists to daily political controversies, it’s been a total storm as advertisers fled, leaving Twitter to widen its deficit,” Wedbush analyst Dan Ives noted. Securities, which estimate the company’s potential losses. to 4 billion dollars a year.

According to investment adviser Gary Black, Mr Musk is also under pressure from Tesla’s board to let go of the reins on Twitter and refocus on the carmaker, whose stock has fallen more than 33% since the start of the takeover of the social network.

“The numbers are hard to ignore,” tweeted Mr. Black.

The poll launched by Mr. Musk came after a new decision from the social network that caused many reactions.

Misunderstanding of the new rules

Twitter announced on Sunday that it would no longer be possible to post links to competing networks, such as Facebook, Instagram, Mastodon or Truth Social, Donald Trump’s social network.

Tweeting a message like: “Thank you for following me @ID on Instagram” is now prohibited, the platform indicated.

These new rules have caused misunderstanding among many users, including Jack Dorsey, co-founder and former head of Twitter.

After some accounts were suspended under the new rule, including investor Paul Graham’s, Mr Musk qualified his decision.

He first tweeted that instead of targeting individual tweets, the policy would be limited to “only suspending accounts when the +primary+ purpose of that account is to promote competitors.”

The tempestuous billionaire then claimed that “major political changes” on the social network would systematically be subject to a vote.

Accounts suspended

Last week, Mr. Musk deleted and restored the accounts of several American journalists, notably from CNN, the New York Times and the Washington Post, prompting a response from the European Union and the United Nations. The vice-president of the European Commission even threatened the entrepreneur with sanctions.

The multibillionaire first suspended @elonjet on Wednesday, an account that automatically reported his private jet trips, then journalists who had tweeted about the decision, accusing them of putting his family at risk.

These were reinstated on Saturday, but some said they were told to delete certain posts if they wanted to make full use of the platform.

On Saturday evening, the Twitter account of a Washington Post reporter, Taylor Lorenz, was suspended for several hours.

“Elon Musk has suspended my Twitter account,” the tech journalist said on his blog.

His account was restored on Sunday.

Since taking the reins at Twitter, Mr Musk has reinstated several banned accounts, including Mr Trump’s. He also put an end to the fight against misinformation linked to Covid-19.

On the other hand, he suspended the account of the rapper Kanye West after the publication of several messages that were considered anti-Semitic, and refused to return to the platform of the right-wing conspirator Alex Jones.

19/12/2022 13:25:06 – Washington (AFP) – © 2022 AFP

Leave a Comment